Recently my children and I had the opportunity to view Amazing Science! Volume I from Science and Math.com. My tenth grader viewed a few of the experiments, yet my seventh grader, fourth grader, first grader and preschooler were the main ones who watched it. My seventh grade son, who is likely destined for a career in either engineering or computer science, found it especially exciting. He is the one who always wants to know how and why things work!
- Each experiment is explained clearly and well, with the reasons behind why the results turned out how they did.
- Each experiment is videotaped from different angles, so that you can really see well what is happening.
- The experiments are interesting.
- The experiments can usually be replicated at home without too much trouble or expense.
- Yet, although we did not really have time or in some cases the ingredients to try the experiments on our own, my children really learned quite a lot simply from viewing the experiment.
- We were able to re-play those experiments which were favorites. Seriously, I think my seventh grader has viewed some of these experiments three times now.
Wonder what supplies are used in the experiments? Download a supply list HERE.
Videos range in length from a little over five minutes to nearly twenty minutes in length, though most are around ten minutes long. I think they are just the right length for middle elementary through middle school level, with just the right interest level and right depth of explanation.
- Building a Motor #2
- Dry Ice Bubbles
- Ocean in a Bottle
Although I cannot show you these three videos, you may view five of these twenty-three experiments on the Science and Math.com website to see what you think! Did you know that you can use a lemon to power a calculator? How cool is that to make a battery out of a lemon?
Amazing Science Volume 1 retails for $24.95, but is currently on sale for $19.95. It contains 23 experiments on two DVDs. Although Volume 2 is not yet available, you may want to see the other science and math DVDs which are available from this company.
Disclaimer: As a member of the Homeschool Crew, I received a review copy of this 2 DVD set for review. No other compensation was received. Visit the Homeschool Crew blog to read more reviews of this and other educational products.